Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bridget Bourke, daughter of James Bourke and Ellen McCluskey

BRIDGET BOURKE: Born on her parents’ Boosey farm in 1881, Bridget was the first daughter and third child born to James and Ellen Bourke. She attended the Boosey North Catholic School with her sister Ellen and five brothers.
When thirty years old, in 1911, Bridget Teresa Bourke married John Edwin Merton. John was an employee of Victorian railways, so he and his young family moved around to various country towns with his work. Bridget and John had seven children:
John Merton: died as a young child.
Teresa Merton: married Charles Crabbe and had seven children.
James Merton: with wife Helen was living in Berrigan in the 1980s. Sons John and Richard (later killed in a car accident when only about 11 years old).
Charles Merton: lives in Queensland. Married with a son, Peter.
Irene Merton: married Don Collins. Lived in south Australia. One child, Janice Collins.
Leslie Merton: married Lydia Richardson. Died after suffering the shocking conditions on the Burma Railway whilst a POW in WW2.Two daughters: Joan McIntosh (a doctor from Adelaide with children David, Ian, Dean, Louise & Jennifer) and Carole Vincent (children Justin and Nathan. Lives Vermont, Melbourne)
Desmond Merton: Three children Helen, Gerald and Jill. Died of cancer in S.A.

Bridget Bourke Merton was left a widow when her children were all still quite young. She managed to keep them together as a family in Yarrawonga, and later in Melbourne.

6 comments:

Simon Merton said...

Hello, My name is Simon Merton, grand son of Desmond Merton. My father is Gerry, I have 3 sisters , Rachel, Susan and Naomi.
I live and work in Papua New Guinea, am married to Charmaine and have 4 children.

Sherro46 said...

Hey Simon,
Fantastic to hear from you...you are the first family member to contact me through this blog, and I am delighted to make your acquaintance!
I obtained the information about your family from the incredible Sister Veronica Lonergan, daughter of Nellie Bourke,and grand daughter of James Bourke and Ellen McCluskey, way back in the 80s or 90s. Please let me know if any of it is incorrect- it is relatively easy putting together stories for ancestors who lived pre-WW1, but for post-WW1 I tend to have to rely on what is given to me by members of each family.
Please let me know if I can help you in anyway with the family history-our Bourke story is certainly a fascinating one. All the very best, Jen

SImon Merton said...

To all out there that knew him, my father, Gerry Merton passed away on the 12th August in a single vehicle accident at Cairns, Australia.

Unknown said...

Hi Simon,

My name is Susan and I am from Papua New Guinea. I just want to confirm if your late father worked as a Mill manager for Trukai Industry back in the 90s? He went by the name of Jerry Desmond Merton.

cheers,
Susan

SImon Merton said...

Yes that was Him.

Tracie Jarvis said...

Hello Simon,
Was your dad in the Aust Army late 60s/early 70s?
A mechanic perhaps?
Kind regards,
Tracie Jarvis.