Sunday, September 14, 2008

First Bourke blog!


My Bourke heritage comes via my paternal great-grandmother, Bridget Mary Frances Bourke ( pictured above). Bridget herself was the product of a double dose of Bourke blood, as both of her parents were named Bourke, although despite both families originating in Tipperary, Ireland, prior to their arrival in Victoria in the 1840s, no evidence has surfaced to suggest that Bridget's parents were in any way related.
Bridget's parents, Margaret and Paddy, married in Kilmore in 1869, then settled several years later in the Burramine/Boosey district, selecting land on the Murray River and running Burramine Pub and Store for many years.
Three distinct clans of Bourkes came to the Burramine district during the 1870s, and I have spent many years sorting out who belongs where. For ease of classification, I have dubbed them the "Kilmore Bourkes", "Pine Lodge Bourkes" and "Geelong Bourkes". The Kilmore and Pine Lodge clans belong to my Paddy Bourke and his wife Margaret Bourke, and there are many descendants of the Geelong Bourkes still living in the Yarrawonga/Tungamah area today.
This blog will take the same format as my Hughan family blog in that it will hopefully serve as a means for me to share my research with others of Bourke blood who stumble upon this site. I will gladly welcome feedback and further information...I find the more the merrier when it comes to researching family.

4 comments:

Rebbel said...

Hi
Fantastic to read all about our family history. Thank you for all your hard work. I am a gggrandaughter of John Bourke and Judith Mary Meehan ggrandaughter of Michael Bourke & M .Molloy.gdaughter of James Patrick Bourke & Winifred Bowe and Daughter of Edward Thomas Bourke and Betty Harriette Dutton.Dad (Edward Thomas Bourke) was born on the 14 July 1924 and died on the 26 April 1999.Mum Betty Harriette was born on the 17 March 1922 and died on the 27 October 2003.
Once again thank you so much for all the valuable information about our family.
Warmest Regards
Pamela Cari (nee Bourke)

Sherro46 said...

Hello Pamela,
I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you found this blog about our Bourkes.When I started this project/obsession I knew of no other Bourke descendents of Paddy Bourke's brothers at all, so it is wonderful that you, as a descendent of Michael, have contacted me.Last week a lovely fellow named Adam Bourke contacted me who was also a descendent of Michael Bourke, but as yet I haven't established his exact lineage.
I would love to include more information re. your Bourke branch in my blog. Most of my information came from one of Michael Bourke's daughters, when she was a very great age.I would love to discuss Michael Bourke and Margaret Molloy's family further with both you and Adam...my email addy is sheridanallstate@bigpond.com. Thank you so much for establishing contact. All the very best, Jen

Unknown said...

Hi. I have been reading your blog and I am so fascinated by the extent of your information. I am a ggggrandaughter of John Bourke and Judith Mary Meehan gggrandaughter of Michael Bourke & Margaret Malloy gg daughter of James Patrick Bourke & Winifred Bowe and Granddaughter of Joseph Bourke, my father is Brian Bourke and of course myself Jodie Bourke. I am happy to share any information that I have with any descendants as well as receive. My email is jodieleeb76@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi, I realise that you started this a LONG time ag and that you may no longer check this site.... but here goes anyway.
I am busy researching my husbands family tree and have hit a road block when I come to Ellen Augusta Bourke. The information I have from the marriage certificate is.. Born 1860(approx.)in County Cork Ireland to Michael Bourke (farmer)and Margaret Lake. Death certificate says she moved to Australia - Victoria approx 1869(as a 10ish year old child) Surviving stories say she met a sailor whom she married when she was 19-20 and moved to Sydney. The marriage was not condoned by the parents who were apparently respectable well healed land owners in Victoria, and she was disowned and cut off. I note that the Bourke of Victoria apparently often sponsored cousins etc from Ireland to come to Victoria and wondered if these family details offered any matches to yours. I have been hit a brick wall with this one now for a couple of years and hope your site might give me the boost I need. Thanks Sue Stevens